"The End of Everything, The Beginning of One Thing" (全ての終わり, 一つの始まり Subete no Owari, Hitotsu no Hajimari ) is the first episode of the anime series Shakugan no Shana. Yūji Sakai, an ordinary high school student, stumbles upon a hidden world frozen in time, full of monsters who devour human existence, and meets the girl with flaming-hair and burning-eyes. He finds out that his existence had been consumed, leaving him to slowly fade away as a Torch, a temporary replacement of a human.
He did not realize that the world around him would be any different from what he knew, and upon his way to school, he finds himself in a death trap waiting to consume him: two unusual-looking creatures from another realm. Yuji finds the unlikeliest of heroes to rescue him - a girl with blazing-red eyes and hair - and watches in horror as she ruthlessly cleaves apart her opponents with her sword.Yuji remembers when he arrived at school on the first day. He meets up with close friend Hayato Ike and, later, has to put up with fellow classmate Keisaku Satō's cold attitude; fortunately, Eita Tanaka seems friendlier. Classes soon start, and he eventually makes a new friend on Japanese Literature class. School soon ended for that day, and Yuji saw Ike leave for cram school; as for him, he decides to visit a music store to kill some time. He unexpectedly meets the girl who helped him on Japanese Literature class named Yukari Hirai, and she begins to ask him about Ike, whom she apparently likes. The two eventually go separate ways, and as Yuji goes his way home, he finds an unusual light suddenly envelop the area where he stands: a Fuzetsu was invoked.
Yuji is shocked to find out that everyone and everything - except for him - is not moving. Soon, two unusual creatures, a floating ball made up of mannequin heads and a gigantic baby doll, announce their presence before turning everyone around them into a flame-like substance and devouring them. As he watches the scenes unfold helplessly, he discovers that there is someone else involved in what's happening: Yukari Hirai. Unfortunately, his attempt to call Yukari made his presence felt by the two creatures.The two creatures discover that Yuji can move about in the Fuzetsu, and deducts that he might be a Mystes. Curious about his identity, one of the creatures grabbed Yuji and attempted to devour him... until a blade slices its arms cleanly off. As the gigantic baby doll cries in pain, Yuji finds a girl with blazing-red eyes and hair standing in front of him. Soon, she confronts the creatures in front of her and mercilessly defeats the two. The girl with blazing-red eyes soon ask about Yuji's existence, and like the creatures she defeated, a voice she refers to as "Alastor" assumes that he is a Mystes. Then, she attacks another creature; this time, it is in the form of a woman, and that creature mockingly identifies the girl with blazing-red hair and eyes as the "Flame-haired Burning-eyed Flame Haze of Alastor, 'Flame of Heavens'". As the Flame Haze is about to deliver the final blow, a confused Yuji goes in the way, and is instead attacked by the enemy. Leaving with no choice, the Flame Haze strikes her sword and tears a large gash off Yuji's shoulder, slicing off the enemy's arm in the process. Shocked by the attack he receives, Yuji falls to the ground as a small doll-like figure escapes from the scene.
Soon, the Flame Haze discusses with Alastor about the enemy they fought earlier, and how Yuji reminded them of a certain Tenmoku Ikko. She then tends to Yuji's injury (which mysteriously, doesn't bleed) and by pointing to the sky, summons beings similar to those consumed by the creatures: Torches. After that, the Flame Haze reverses the damage caused by the battle before returning everything to what it was.
Yuji soon realizes that no one knew what happened, and Yukari now has something on her chest: a blue flame. He also sees this on the people around him, and wanting to get more answers, he pursues the Flame Haze.The Flame Haze eventually exposes the truth to Yuji, that he is no longer a "he", but an "it"; an object that acts a replacement for humans consumed by Denizens of the Crimson Realm, also known as a Torch. She also adds that he is the same as them, and there, he realizes that Yuji Sakai has long past died.
Meanwhile, elsewhere, a young man talks to a small doll-like creature and assures her that she should not apologize for having lost one of his favorite Rinne. As he lets his beloved Marianne rest for the night, he thinks about the person Marianne faced, one with flaming hair and burning-red eyes.
Characters in Order of AppearanceEdit
* denotes if the character debuts in this episode
- Yūji Sakai*
- Shana* (not named)
- Hayato Ike*
- Eita Tanaka*
- Keisaku Satō*
- Yukari Hirai*
- Kazumi Yoshida* (cameo)
- Matake Ogata* (cameo)
- two of Friagne's minor Rinne* - voiced by Satomi Arai
Powers and Abilities UsedEdit
- Torch Creation (Shana)
- Reconstruction (Shana)
- Fūzetsu (Marianne)
- Alastor: "A heartbeat that lasts for eternity. Lives consumed in soundless balls of fire. No one can tell when the world is displaced and the Flames of the Crimson World sweep over all."
- Yuji Sakai: "It happened in Misaki City, when the cherry blossoms were in full bloom. They were later than usual this year. My name is Yuji Sakai. The school year had just begun and I was settling in to daily routine that was the life of a high school student. A normal morning no different from any other, nothing out of the ordinary. Days like that were supposed to last forever. At the time, I couldn't even begin to imagine what was about to happen. I had no incling of the strange diverging world I was soon to encounter or of the fact that I was going to die. And then I saw her, the girl with the flame red hair and blazing eyes. That was the day my world...changed forever."
- Yuji Sakai:(Upon seeing Shana for the first time) "And then I saw her. The girl with the flame red hair and blazing eyes."
- Friagne's Rinne: "Flaming Hair Blazing Eyes. You're Alastor's Flame Haze. He who is a Flame of Heaven. Just a tool for destruction."
- Shana: "I was taken by surprise. I've forgotten that thing was still moving around."
Alastor: "Indeed. For a moment there, I was reminded of Tenmoku Ikko."
Shana: "Yes. That we knew from the very beginning but that one can move and bite freely."
Yuji Sakai: "Please. I need an ambulance."
Shana: "So noisy. Just Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! It's useless crying over a cut now."
Yuji Sakai: "But I'm..."
Alastor: "It didn't have much existence when it was alive. If it was human, it would have died the moment it received a cut that deep."
- Tenmoku Ikko is, like Yuji, a Mystes. However, he is considered to be the most-feared Mystes of all time, able to defeat Crimson Denizens alone.
- Yuji walks past a music store named 'HNV', which is a parody of HMV.
- A poster on the CD store wall near where Yukari was standing, which depicts five skulls over a black background, was likely inspired by the album cover of Joker by the visual kei band Janne Da Arc. Joker was released on June 15, 2005, several months before this episode aired.
| This is the 17th Featured Article.
Shakugan no Shana Episode 01 has been featured, meaning it was chosen as an article of interest.